It was built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan between 1644 and 1656 at a cost of 1 million rupees, and was inaugurated by an imam from Bukhara, present-day Uzbekistan. The mosque was completed in 1656 AD with three great gates, four towers and two 40 m high minarets constructed of strips of red sandstone and white marble. The courtyard can accommodate more than 25,000 persons. There are three domes on the terrace which are surrounded by the two minarets.
Built during 13 century symbolizes the coming of Islam on these lands. The first three floors of the minaret are built out of the characteristic here construction material – red sandstone, and the top two floors are reveted with white marble. Each floor finishes with a terrace with a beautiful railing. During the next centuries each ruler has left something – a building, a sculpture, sultan’s tombs, as well as medreses – a school for learning of the Koran.
The Humayun’s tomb is remarkable with its architecture. The building, which is octagonal at its foundation, is crowned with two enormous cupolas with hemispherical form, the height of which is 38 m. The main cupola is implemented out of white and black marble. On every side of the foundation there are columns, which are forming 18 identical arches. For the building of the Humayun tomb is used red sandstone.
In the Akshardham temple there is a Hall of the valuables, where can be seen exhibits, representing events from the life of the saint Swami Narayan and his messages. By the help of light and sound effects, the visitors carry away in 18 century, which makes the visit here unique. Another interesting attraction in the Akshardham temple is one hall, in which on a screen with dimensions 30m length and 20m height, the visitors can acquaint with Swami Narayan’s life in his youth years, when he visited different regions of India.
The Golden temple is a marble building, to which is reached on a path, known as Bridge Guru. In its today’s appearance the three-floor marble temple dates from XVIII century. The reason for its new appearance is a heavy destruction on behalf of the Afghans. Therefore the nowadays architecture of the Golden temple is subordinated on the late Mongolian architecture. Colonnades, peaked towers, niches, balconies and railings are exclusively characteristic for the mosques and palaces of that time.
The Bom Jesus basilica is one of the oldest churches in Goa and India. The church was built in a cross-shaped form, as in its architecture are distinguished Ionian, Dorian, Corinth and mixed styles. The church has at its disposal three elegant entrances, which are crowned with three enormous rectangular windows, followed by three smaller windows and everything passes into a beautifully carved central fronton.
The name Konark originates from the combination of Sanskrit words – kona (corner or corner) and arka (sun). It is deemed, that the temple was built by king Narasimha І in 1255 A.D. He reigned within the period 1238 and 1264. The proof, that this king has ordered the building of the sun temple are the reliefs, which depict and social life scenes. The temple complex is a sanctuary, which was built in order to immortalize the war victory of Narasimha over the Muslims, by which he legitimated his right to rule as a chosen of God.
Taj Mahal attracts between 2 and 4 million visitors annually, including more than 200 000 from abroad. The tourists reach the building through a monumental portal out of red sandstone and are welcomed by the inscription „welcome to the believers in heaven”. The people, setting out towards Taj Mahal, initially see the beautifully reflected in the middle mausoleum and central cupola of the water reservoir. The impressive vision out of fine white marble seems as if it is floating in the open dome of heaven behind, which is one purposefully sought effect.
The main stone of the Gateway of India was laid on 31 March 1913 by the governor of Bombai (today’s Mumbai) sir George Sydenham Clarke. The plans for the arch, assigned to George Wittet, were approved not until August 1914. In the period between 1915 and 1919 there was conquered a strip of land along the port, which was intended for the building of the Gateway of India. The land, on which the Gateway of India is built, was a quay, used by the fishing society, which later was renovated and used as a place for arrival of the British governors and other famous persons. The construction of this original symbol finished in year 1924.
The architect of Victoria memorial is William Emerson, who is a president of the Royal institute of the British architects. The design is in Indo-Saracenic revival style, as there was used mixture of British and Mongolian elements with Venetian, Egyptian, Decanian and Muslim architectural influences. The building is with dimensions 103 meters of 69 meters and is rising at height of 56 meters. It is built out of white Makrana marble. The gardens of the Victoria memorial are designed by lord Redesdale and David Prain.
In the architectural appearance of the palace are mixed Hindu, Muslim, Rajput and Gothic styles. The palace in Mysore is surrounded by a big garden. The entrance gate and arch hold the emblem and the coat of arms of the kingdom of Mysore, around which is written the motto of the kingdom in Sanskrit „never terrify”. This beautiful building is with length 245 Ft and width 156 Ft. The palace has three entrances – the East gate, the South entrance (provided for the public) and the West entrance (usually opened only during Dasara).
The Palace of the Winds or Hawa Mahal was built for maharaja Savai Pratap Singh in year 1799 initially as a temple, and subsequently it changed its statute to a palace. This was the time when the women in the royal family were forced to live in strict isolation. The palace of the winds in fact is an enlargement of the main palace and was constructed in a way, which ensured the opportunity women to observe how life was going on, but simultaneously to remain in complete isolation and hidden from the looks of the passers-by.
The Jal Mahal palace is considered for architectural beauty, built in the architectural style of Rajput. From the palace is opened a picturesque view to the lake, as well as to the surrounding hills Hahargarh (in translation „inhabited by tigers”). The palace is built with material from red sandstone. On the terrace of the palace is built a garden with curved passages.