The historical palace in Mysore, specified as one of the most majestic royal buildings in India, is located in the city of the same name in Karnataka, South India. The palace in Mysore is located in the central region of the interior of Mysore, against the Hindu hills Eastwards. The palace was the formal residence and headquarters of the rulers from the royal family Mysore, who ruled the country from year 1399 until 1950.
The palace in Mysore is a fabulous palace, representing a three-storey stone building, for the building of which was used fine grey granite and pink marble cupolas. The architecture of the palace in Mysore is subordinated to the Indo-Saracenic style. This pearl in the crown of city of Mysore extinguishes with a 145-meter five-storey tower with a gold-plated cupola. Its facade is decorated with big arches, which are supported by high columns. In the complex of the palace besides the so called durbar halls – ceremonial halls for meetings of the royal court, are included many unique rooms, impressive yards, gardens and 12 Hindu temples. Another remembered landmark is one wooden elephant, gorgeously decorated with 84 kilograms gold.
The history of the historical palace in Mysore
The history of the palace in Mysore began in XIV century, when king Yaduraya built for the first time a place in the Old Fort in Mysore. This palace was destroyed and built several times. The regent of Mysore, Her Majesty Maharani Vani Vila Sannidna and her son, the maharaja of Mysore, His Majesty Rajashi Krishnaraja Udidar IV ordered to the British architect lord Henry Irwin to build a new palace, which to substitute the old one, which was turned into ash at a large-scale fire. During the period, in which the new palace was being built, the royal family stayed at the near Jaganamohan palace. The construction site was carried out under the vigilant supervision of BP Raghavulu Naidu, who is an executive engineer at Divizia Mysore Palace. He carried out many complex architectural researches during visits in Delhi, Madras and Calcutta, thanks to which he gathered ideas, which he used at the planning of the new palace. Ultimately, the palace in Mysore was finished in year 1912 and turned into a magnificent masterpiece, which annually is visited by hundreds of people from all over the world. The gorgeously decorated interior of stained-glass windows, mirrors, carved wooden doors, mosaic floors and an incredible garden are a power of attraction for more than 6 million visitors annually. The scenes of each detail in the palace and around it strongly attract the attention, but there is a prohibition by the authorities for photography in the main palace complex.
As we have already said, the building of the present palace was assigned in year 1897, and was finished in 1912. The historical palace in Mysore was enlarged in 1940 (including the adding of the present public wing of Durbar Hall) during the government of His Majesty Maharaja Jaiamamajaidra Uadiar, who is the last Maharaja of kingdom Mysore. Nevertheless that the construction of this architectural miracle finished in year 1912, the fortress continues to be decorated and to expand, and its inhabitants slowly move towards the newer fortress, which is built in the palace.
In the architectural appearance of the historical palace are mixed Hindu, Muslim, Rajput and Gothic styles. The palace in Mysore is surrounded by a big garden. The entrance gate and arch hold the emblem and the coat of arms of the kingdom of Mysore, around which is written the motto of the kingdom in Sanskrit „never terrify”. This beautiful building is with length 245 Ft and width 156 Ft. The palace has three entrances – the East gate, the South entrance (provided for the public) and the West entrance (usually opened only during Dasara). Beside, in the complex of the palace there a numerous secret tunnels, starting from the yard of the palace and leading towards Shrirangapatna, another palaces and confidential zones.
The building of the historical palace in Mysore has a facade with several expansive arches and two smaller ones, surrounding the central arch, which is supported by high pillars. Above the central arch is put a sculpture of the goddess of wealth, prosperity, luck and opulence with her elephants. Within the framework of the Old Fort there are three basic exclusive temple buildings and about eighteen in the building of the palace. The maharajas of Mysore were very devoted to the goddess Chamunddi, that is why the palace is turned towards the Huandian hills. Thus is carried out the ritual practice for the blessing of the goddess Chamuni.
As it was mentioned above, the complex of the palace includes twelve Hindu temples. The oldest of them was built in 14-th century, and the last one was built in year 1953. Some of the more popular temples are:
- The Someshvara temple, dedicated to the God lord Shiva
- The Lakshmiramana temple, dedicated to God, lord Vishnu
- The Shwetha Varahaswamy temple, dedicated to lord Varahaswamy, one of the 10 incarnations of the lord Vishnu
- The Shri Buvanveshvari temple
- The Shri Gayatri temple
At present a big part of the palace is under the control of the government of Karnataka. Only a small part of the palace, towards the West gate, is under the possession of princess Pramodadevi Vadiar. In fact, the Supreme court in Karnataka has enacted a decision in favour of the deceased prince Х. Х. Sryankadada Narasimharaja Uadir, that the palace belongs to the royal family. Despite this, the government of Karnataka appeals the lawsuit before the Supreme Court. The lawsuit is still pending, since the prince passed away on 10 December 2013 and did not succeed to continue fighting against the government.
The palace in Mysore looks mind-blowingly, especially during the holidays, when it is lit by approximately 100 thousand lights, which emphasize its imposing profile in the night. The palace in Mysore is opened for visits, as excursions are organized every day. The visitors can enjoy a collection of sculptures, paintings and artefacts, including 700 weapons of the maharaja, among which spears, swords, pistols and others, dating from XIV century.
The palace in Mysore is situated in ten minutes from the central railway station and from the bus station of the suburb, as well as in twenty minutes from Mysore airport. The airport is directly connected with the international airports in Bangalore, Chennai, Thiruvananthapuram, Hyderabad, Mangalore and Bombay.